Local

Woman who lost hand after mistaking explosive device for candle files suit

CONNECTICUT –

A woman from Connecticut who lost part of her hand when she lit an explosive device she thought was a candle is suing the previous owner of her home.

According to the Connecticut Post, Karina Gutierrez’s lawsuit says her injuries were “directly caused by the willful, wanton and reckless conduct” of the previous owner who knew the explosives were in the basement, yet failed to remove them.

RELATED: Authorities: Woman mistakes dynamite for candle during power outage 

Gutierrez was injured back in September when thunderstorms knocked out power.

She found what she thought was a candle, but fire officials said was actually a quarter stick of dynamite.

When she lit it, it exploded. The suit says she lost part of her left hand, suffered injury to her right eye and permanent scarring.

The previous owner could not be reached for comment.

AP wire services helped contribute to this report.

This post was originally posted at http://newjersey.news12.com/story/39957797/woman-who-lost-hand-after-mistaking-explosive-device-for-candle-files-suit. WGEH does not own this content and is not responsible for it.